The Linton workshop was established in 1908 by James Walter Robert Linton, a British trained Painter and teacher of art. James Linton made a strong contribution to the Arts in Western Australia in the early 20th Century. In addition to founding Linton School of Art, he was involved extensively with Perth Technical School and held a curatorial post with the Western Australian Art Gallery for some years. James Linton was joined in his studio by Mr Arthur Cross, a Master Jeweller. Together they produced commissioned pieces of silverware and jewellery.
Arthur Cross died in 1916 and James Linton carried on producing commissioned pieces. He was joined by his son Jamie who subsequently took on the running of the workshop from the 1930’s. Jamie trained as Silversmith and painter under his father and studied sculpture in London and Paris in the 1920’s. Jamie designed the wide ranging cutlery lines that are still being handmade in the workshop today.
As with the early work produced by James Linton and Arthur Cross, Jamie’s designs were strongly influenced by the international Arts and Crafts movement, referencing Deco and Nouveau lines. This aesthetic, and the emphasis on beautifully crafted hand made works is present in the jewellery and silverware produced in the Linton Workshop to this day. The cutlery lines incorporate Western Australian Wildflowers as well as some architectural motifs and over the years the range has been added to and built upon by Jamie’s son John.
This work as well as other pieces created by the Linton Family is held at the Australian National Gallery, the Powerhouse Museum, the West Australian Art Gallery and the Victorian State Gallery. Linton Silver can be found in the collections of international royal families including the British and Danish Royal Families.